today was a wonderful day. some of my italian family came over for lunch and what a lunch it was! [more to come about our delicious meal in my next post] my job is always to make a dessert. i know it's coming...my dad asks me what i am going to make and i automatically freeze and draw a blank and usually resort to some of my staples: fruit tart, cookies, peanut butter pie, etc. but this time...this time was going to be different! i was going to be more creative with my baking. see...i am sticking to my new years resolution :)
because i knew we were going to have an extravagant lunch, i wanted something that was light. preferably something fruity and simple. i picked my brain (and pinterest..) for the perfect dessert and came across a simple 6 ingredient blueberry galette. incase you are confused on what a galette is, the proper definition is:
a flat round cake of pastry often topped with fruit.
basically, an open faced pie.
let me just stress how EASY this dessert was. it came out tasting beyond fresh and delicious. my family could not stop raving about it. we accompanied it with some homemade lemon whipped cream (recipe at the bottom of page) and REAL italian...like straight from italy...limoncello gelato. amazing.
1 9inch store bought pie crust, thawed
2 cups fresh blueberries
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons corn starch
dash of cinnamon
juice from 1/2 a lemon
1 egg, beaten
1. preheat oven to 450F
2. lay out the thawed pie crust on a baking sheet covered in foil
3. combine blueberries, sugar, cornstarch cinnamon, and lemon juice.
4. pour the blueberry mixture onto the pie crust leaving about 1 inch of the crust to fold over
5. fold the edges of the pie crust over the edge of the blueberry mixture
6. take the beaten egg wash and brush it over the edges of the crust with a pastry brush or clean paint brush. this will create a golden crust
7. bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the the crust browns. if you feel the crust is getting too brown way before the end of the baking time, cover the galette with foil
8. enjoy with a dollop of whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, or lemon ice cream. yummy!
lemon whipped cream recipe:
1 cup of heavy whipping cream
2-3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons lemon zest
combine all ingredients and with a hand or stand mixer, beat until stiff peaks form!
i am fully aware that it is january, but this is a perfect summer dessert.
recipe adapted from: http://www.dinneralovestory.com/five-reasons-to-make-a-berry-galette/